We are in need of some volunteers to serve on the PTA Board next year. Serving on the PTA board is a great way to give back to your school and to get better acquainted with faculty, staff, and other parents.
DON’T BE INTIMIDATED!! Working on the board is fulfilling and doesn’t have to be overwhelming or ridiculously time-consuming. You can make it what you will. The time commitment varies drastically based on the position you choose – plenty of the work can be done from home, after normal work hours.
AVAILABLE PTA BOARD POSITIONS:
- Vice President – Assists the President in decision-making and event planning duties, coordinates with administration on programs. May be assigned grade-level focus.
- Membership Chair – Responsible for collecting membership forms, maintaining membership records, encouraging membership growth, and submitting monthly membership reports to NMPTA.
- Programs Chair – Liaison between PTA board and program coordinators. Recruits volunteers for program coordinators. Works with program coordinators (i.e. Book fair coordinators) to assure they have the support they need. Keeps records of events and programs to ensure smooth transition to new volunteers year to year.
All board members work together to make the PTA yearly schedule/budget, which is approved by the general PTA membership at PTA meetings. Board members should be available for monthly board meetings (about 1 hr) and monthly membership meetings (also 1 hr). While each board member has specific duties, the board works together to organize events, do fundraising, and share responsibilities as needed.
If you would like to be a part of the board, but cannot attend general PTAmeetings regularly, please still let us know of your interest.
If you cannot commit to being on the PTA Board, but would like to volunteer to be a program coordinator of your favorite PTA initiative, we would love to hear from you as well. You can contact me, Sarah Sumner president.akcs.pta@
- Recycling Coordinator (1) – This person oversees the recycling of the aluminum cans that we collect for cash. Responsibility would be to check the recycling stash regularly and either take the recycling in themselves or coordinate the delivery with other recycling volunteers.
- On-call Recycling Volunteers (2) – These people would deliver the aluminum cans to the recycling center, under the direction of the coordinator, and return the proceeds to the PTA mailbox.
- Balloon Fiesta Breakfast Volunteers (6-7) – These volunteers would help Dana Snedigar prepare for and execute the Balloon Fiesta Breakfast (Fri. Sept 30). Preparations would include planning crafts, obtaining food donations, as well as selling food and running a craft table at the event.
- Scholastic Book Fair Volunteers (5-6) – Our book fair runs November 28- December 2. We need volunteers willing to help set up the fair before Thanksgiving break, help break down the fair on Dec 2, and run the fair during the week. These volunteers would be working closely with our Book Fair Coordinators.
- Staff Appreciation Week – Monday, May 1 through Thursday, May 4. PTA will be providing breakfast/lunch each day and organizing door decorating. If you would like some ideas for gifts, here is a list of items that were not received at Christmas: (Link to attached file)
- Jog-a-Thon – Thursday, May 4 at Alice King, volunteers and water bottles needed
- Two-lunch Tuesdays – Send your child with an extra sack lunch each Tuesday. Lunches will be donated to local homeless preschool children. Both campuses will participate.
- AKCS has a Facebook Page
Please feel free to contact the AKCS PTA via email at email@example.com